QM Environmental is one of Canada’s largest full-service national decommissioning and environmental remediation firms. Always committed to health, safety and environment; QM has been experiencing a consistent growth in the last years and we would like to invite you to be part of this team.
We offer exciting career growth, professional development, and a culture that is supported by teamwork and open communication. At QM, you’ll have the opportunity to learn from and collaborate with some of the most talented professionals and innovative thought-leaders in the industry.
QM Environmental is seeking a Regional Manager, Hazmat - West for the region covering BC, Alberta, SK and the Yukon.
Reporting to: Division Head
Division: Hazardous Material & Abatement
As the leader for the region, this position is responsible for ensuring the success of the business line within a specific region. This includes ensuring that projects meet and exceed all KPI’s; company policies are followed; the region meets and exceeds growth targets.
The Regional Manager is accountable for the portfolio of all divisional projects in the region. They ensure the portfolio’s time, cost, and quality are on the track and may assign resources as required.
Health and Safety
- Read, understand and follow Corporate Health and Safety Program, Policy and Procedures
- Ensures health and safety is considered in the performance of all activities
- Participation in H & S initiatives will be monitored and reviewed as necessary
- Review WCB costs and incident reports
- Take on primary responsibility for efficient, cost-effective regional hazmat operations
- Prepare budget and sales forecasts
- Review financial and operating reports: job costing reports, prepare monthly accruals, A/R outstanding balances, and bad debts
- Ensure union ratios are being met (where applicable)
- Review time sheets to ensure no unnecessary overtime or expenses
- Manage the day-to-day activities of the hazmat division, overseeing that work is accomplished, and that it is consistent with corporate policies and objectives
- Oversee and analyze work-flows, processes, staffing and purchase requirements to improve efficiency, productivity, quality control and profitability to meet or exceed established company turn-around times and customer requirements
- Participate in corporate strategic planning and implement strategic goals and objectives
- Ensure the division complies with all government regulations as applicable
- Continuously search for regional opportunities for expansion and growth
- Ensure/Conduct regular staff meetings
- Keep up with the industry trends, attend trade shows, conventions and seminars as appropriate or as directed
- Maintain quality service by establishing and enforcing organization standards
- Review estimates and ensure policies and contracts are being followed; review and sign tenders
- Oversee Hazardous Materials and Abatement staff and the general operations of the division in the region.
- Safety, regulatory, and business conflicts that arise are resolved
- Set targets for the division in order to contribute to the organization profitability
- Professionally builds awareness/interest of QM LP services, as well as serves as a spokesperson & manages the flow of information to the public
- Advise and direct staff; provide assistance and guidance where needed
- Provide technical direction and work-related advice
- Ensure professional developmental opportunities for remediation employees and all upgrade training is completed
- Visit sites to pass on knowledge to Project Managers, Supervisors and foremen
- Complete performance reviews for direct reports and ensure completion of reviews for others; Ensure employees meet their goals and deliverable deadlines
- Ensure the HazMat division is working closely with other QM LP divisions; communication and cooperation is interdivisional
- Resolve important customer complaints and service problems
- Meet with consultants and clients to maintain, improve, or build new relationships
- Ensure purchase orders are being used
Other responsibilities, as required
- University degree related to contaminated substances, construction, health and safety or other related discipline is an asset
- Asbestos certification or training is an asset
- Construction trades certification or training is an asset
- Safety certifications are an asset
Experience, Knowledge & Abilities
- A minimum of ten years of experience managing hazardous materials and abatement projects similar to those in QM’s portfolio, including ensuring that these projects are completed on-time, within budget, and that project KPI’s are met or exceeded
- Experience managing, overseeing, and/or estimating demolition projects
- Experience leading project teams, including experience leading multiple projects simultaneously
- Financial acumen; experience managing a P&L, change orders, invoicing, budgets, job costing reports
- Experience managing clients, and growing the hazardous materials and abatement business
- Knowledge of legislation that applies to asbestos; standards and guidelines related to the removal of contaminated substances and materials, safety standards
- Strong writing skills; great presentation and overall communication skills
- A passion for leading successful teams
Work is primarily in an office but requires travel to work and client sites.