QM Environmental is one of Canada’s largest full-service national decommissioning and environmental remediation firms. Always committed to health, safety and environment; QM has been experiencing a consistent growth in the last years and we would like to invite you to be part of this team.
We offer exciting career growth, professional development, and a culture that is supported by teamwork and open communication. At QM, you’ll have the opportunity to learn from and collaborate with some of the most talented professionals and innovative thought-leaders in the industry.
QM Environmental is seeking a Human Resources Generalist to provide support to our Western Canada region.
Reporting to: VP, Human Resources
Department: Human Resources
The HR Generalist is responsible for the following duties:
- Provide support in all areas of HR including: full cycle recruitment, benefits and system administration, employee life cycle maintenance, employee relations, reporting and legal requirements, HR initiatives and projects
- Provide hands-on HR support for Operations teams
The role of the HR Generalist is to support the HR team, management and staff in all areas of employment. Responsibilities could include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Forecast recruitment needs based on project requirements
- Ensure all approvals and process requirements are met prior to advertising jobs
- Post jobs and review/screen resumes to submit to Hiring Managers
- Conduct phone screen interviews
- Coordinate and conduct interviews with Hiring Managers
- Conduct reference checks
- Participate in salary negotiations alongside Hiring Managers
- Draft, review, and submit all employment-related documentation: offer letters; employment agreements; termination letters; agreement and releases; confirmation of employment; change of terms of employment
- Liaise with hiring manager, payroll and IT departments to ensure onboarding/termination requirements are met
- Conduct new employee orientation sessions
- Conduct Code of Conduct training and refreshers
- Ensure all new hire packages are completed in entirety
- Prepare separation documentation and work with payroll/IT/manager to ensure successful off boarding
- Administrate enrolment, termination, and changes to all benefit programs including:
- Health and Dental
- LTD Benefit
- RRSP (optional)
- Fitness Memberships
- Clarify benefits inquiries and concerns and follow up with benefit representatives for solutions
- Update benefit tracker and reconcile monthly benefit billing statements
- Maintain excellent labor relations by responding to questions, concerns and needs of the employees and Unions
- Interpret HR policies, procedures, laws, standards and regulations; advise employees/management appropriate actions and recommend improvements
- Investigate alleged incidents and administer disciplinary action, including preparation of paperwork and coaching
- Organizing/coordinating/assisting with company events
- Employee entry, updates, changes in MS Dynamics NAV
- Payroll setup, updates, changes in Clarity Payroll system
- Resolution of any systems-related issues
- Populating and maintenance of employees’ electronic information/files
- Provide HR reports to management for headcount, compensation, vacation accruals
- Development of new or custom reports as required on an ad hoc basis
- Maintain and update organization charts.
- Interpret and clarify employment standards questions and queries
- Provide HR support for bids, tenders, and RFIs (headcounts, org charts, narratives)
- Maintain close contact with project managers to ensure manpower requirements for projects are met
- Provide policies, notices, and other documentation to support requirements of projects
- Maintain compliance with federal, state and local employment and benefits laws and regulations; ensuring up-to-date knowledge of changing regulations
- Assist with requirements for company security requirements
- Prepare employee reference/reliability letters
- Assist employees with E-Rail Certification status
Other responsibilities as required.
Education & Certifications
- Bachelor’s Degree or Certificate in Human Resources Management required.
- CHRP designation considered an asset
- Secret (Level II) Security Clearance considered an asset
- Minimum three years HR Support and/or recruitment experience, with supplemental generalist experience.
- Knowledge and hands-on application of hiring processes
- Knowledge of BC, AB, SK, MB, ON employment standards, employment law
- Advanced knowledge of MS Office Suite applications: Visio, Excel, PowerPoint, Word is a must.
- Knowledge of MS Dynamics NAV and Clarity Payroll is an asset
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to establish and maintain rapport with colleagues, candidates and management is critical
- Complete confidentiality
- Ability to multi-task and deal with changing priorities
- Proven ability in recruitment of trade professionals (high volume at times)
- Excellent organizational skills; detail-oriented
- Collaborative problem solving skills
- Personable, outgoing and positive
Work is performed in an office environment, with travel to work sites as required.