QM Environmental is one of Canada’s largest full-service national decommissioning and environmental remediation firms. Always committed to health, safety and environment; QM has been experiencing a consistent growth in the last years and we would like to invite you to be part of this team.
We offer exciting career growth, professional development, and a culture that is supported by teamwork and open communication. At QM, you’ll have the opportunity to learn from and collaborate with some of the most talented professionals and innovative thought-leaders in the industry.
We are looking for a HazMat Specialist to join our Remediation team in Snap Lake, NT.
The HazMat Specialist is responsible for ensuring that hazardous materials are handled and controlled in a safe manner and in compliance with regulatory requirements.
- Inspection of buildings and determine what is hazardous
- Draining of glycol, using proper containers
- Identifying and sorting a variety of landfill and non-landfill materials
- Designating laydown areas
- Document a detailed inventory in the field of items found day over day
- Completion of decommissioning tracking forms
- Accurately estimating volumes
- Ability to determine appropriate containers for disposal of materials
- Ability to identify proper shipping containers and requirements
- Managing and directing a crew of 2-5 labourers
- Conduct site inspections
- Graduate from secondary school (grade 12) or equivalent
- Company and client mandated safety training
- Valid driver’s license mandatory
- Valid First Aid/CPR
- Specialized training, for example, Fall Protection, Confined Space, Certified Asbestos Workers, Aerial Work Platform, etc.
- Must hold all certificates, clearances, and passes for client access requirements.
- 2+ years experience in substance surveys, inspections, hazardous materials abatement (i.e.: commercial, oilfield, mining, industrial, etc.), remediation, and reporting of results
- Remediation and demolition background is an asset
- Demonstrated commitment to Health & Safety
- Possess understanding of environmental legislation, standards, and guidelines
- Experience with construction management processes for a variety of abatement & demolition technologies
- Experience with regional construction practices
- Proficient computer skills
- Ensure the Health and Safety of your team members
- Solid understanding of codes, laws and other regulatory requirements
- Ability to build strong team commitment and foster collaboration and consensus to maximize team performance.
- Ability to effectively communicate
- Ability to work in a team environment with other Project Managers & Supervisors
- Organizational skills
- Ability to work under pressure
- Problem Solving Skills
- Read and understand drawings, contract plans, and specifications
- Ability to multi-task
- Capable of managing required paperwork
- Knowledge of quality standards
- Effective interpersonal relations
- Work includes both office and field.
- Majority of time will be spent on job site; Remote Mine Site in NWT or SK
- Hours will be 12 hour days and work rotation will be based on project and client requirements
REFERRAL BONUS: QM will pay a $500 Referral Bonus to an eligible QM employee who refers a candidate who is hired.
Our Commitment to Diversity & Inclusion
QM Environmental is a staunch advocate for diversity in all its forms, and especially welcomes applications from members of the BIPOC (Black, Indigenous, and People of Colour) community, women, people with disabilities, the LGBTQ+ community, and those of diverse intersectional identities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process as well as part of employment with QM Environmental.
Compliance with company policies is a requirement of employment. Please note that this includes QM’s Covid-19 in the Workplace Vaccination Policy, which requires vaccination for all employees who require in-person contact with others at a jobsite or in an office. Accommodations will be considered where legally required.