QM Environmental is currently seeking a motivated Senior Emergency Response (ER) Team Lead to join our squad of scientists and first responders in Delta, BC. As an ER Team Lead you will manage a variety of interesting and exciting environmental and hazardous materials projects throughout British Columbia and Canada. Projects include, but are not limited to; emergency spill responses, emergency hazardous material incidents, remedial excavations, waste disposal projects, water treatment programs, and contaminated site investigations.
- Work with senior leaders to help grow business opportunities inside and outside of our established business sectors;
- Assist with preparation of request for proposals;
- Prepare cost estimates and scope of work;
- Complete pre-work permitting and approvals with federal, provincial, municipal, and non-government organizations;
- Coordinate key project deliverables;
- Coordinate, organize, and perform fieldwork;
- Coordinate, organize, and supervise subcontractors in the field;
- Utilize and oversee all Health and Safety initiatives on all emergency and non-emergency projects;
- Provide the maximum protection and education to workers in the field;
- Deliver toolbox/safety meetings regularly to all field staff;
- Ensure HSE compliance with applicable Federal, Provincial Acts, Codes and Regulations;
- Pro-actively identify, develop, and implement modern HSE program protocols, Safe Work Procedures, and response tactics;
- Oversee the completion, updating, and distribution of health and safety related documentation as required regionally and specific to various business lines;
- Complete required documentation in the management of waste, and transportation of waste, as per the Provincial and Federal regulations;
- Collect and compile high quality field data;
- Complete all paperwork and reports required for operational tasks, including writing technical reports;
- Ensure timely delivery of all assigned tasks;
- Provide excellent customer service to clients;
- Perform equipment checks, testing and maintenance on a scheduled basis;
- Perform maintenance for all QM LP vehicles and equipment as requested;
- To provide and/or oversee the basic housekeeping of our buildings and our work areas;
- Assist in developing and delivering required training programs to our clients and internally;
- Attend scheduled training and lead scheduled training as assigned by QM management;
- Assist in the management, training, and mentorship to junior team members;
- Other responsibilities as assigned by Operational/Regional Management
- Post-secondary education in a related discipline (environmental science, chemistry, environmental engineering, chemical engineering, occupational hygiene, technology diploma) is required;
- Accreditation, or eligibility for accreditation, with a professional governing body (P.Ag, PChem, P.Eng., EP, and/or P.Geo.).
- A valid driver’s license is required.
- NFPA 472 Hazardous Materials Technician is an asset.
- Confined Space Entry/ Rescue certification is an asset.
- Rope Rescue Technician Level is an asset.
- Construction Safety Officer (CSO) is an asset.
- NFPA 472 Tank car/ Tank truck Specialist is an asset.
- Equipment operator certifications (forklift, boom lift, scissor lift, skid steer, excavator) are and asset.
Extensive emergency response training, technical chemical training, and industrial safety training will be provided to a scientist who fits this role.
- A minimum of 5 years’ experience managing similar environmental projects from cost estimate through to final report;
- Experience supervising remedial excavations is required;
- Experience sampling soil, sediment, water, groundwater, soil vapor, and/or air, is required;
- Heavy construction experience and Industrial experience is required.
- Previous experience with contaminated sites investigation, contaminated sites remediation, hazardous materials assessment, and/or hazardous materials demolition is required;
- Hazardous Materials Response experience is preferred;
- Previous experience with the assessment of industrial services and a firm understanding of working at heights, within confined spaces, and around heavy equipment is required;
This position is approximately 50% office based and 50% field based. Candidates will work in varied locations, in inclement weather conditions, and are required to travel regularly. Out of town work greater than 1-2 weeks in duration is rare. Required to work long hours, on call, evenings, weekends, and statutory holidays, as required.
Compliance with company policies is a requirement of employment. Please note that this includes QM’s Covid-19 in the Workplace Vaccination Policy, which requires vaccination for all employees who require in-person contact with others at a jobsite or in an office. Accommodations will be considered where legally required.