QM Environmental is a diverse, privately-owned leading national environmental and industrial services company that brings innovative turn-key solutions to clients across multiple sectors, while also helping to solve complex challenges around the minimization of waste and the reduction of the environmental impact. With over 40 years of experience, the QM team has gained a reputation for having a high-degree of technical competence, and solving difficult environmental problems through innovative, creative solutions. QM has successfully worked on several large-scale projects throughout the years including, the Gunnar Mines in northern Saskatchewan and the Port Lands Flood Protection (PLFP) Waterfront Toronto project. Through QM Points, a partnership between QM and Points Athabasca Partnership, an indigenous-owned civil and construction contractor, the Gunnar Mines project oversees the demolition of process asbestos-laden buildings, as well as the safe removal and packaging of all chemical, physical, radiological, and biological hazards within an abandoned uranium mine. QM’s special projects scope is ongoing and currently, also includes the ground-breaking, innovative work being completed at the Toronto Port Lands. The PLFP project is centered around arranging renewable energy and boosting positive climate design on a city-wide scale to foresee a more sustainable future.
Due to the continuous expansion and growth of the company with exciting projects constantly coming under our wing, QM Environmental invites applications for the role of Vice President, IT to join our team, based out of QM’s head office in Mississauga, ON.
The VP IT has strategic and operational ownership for all of QM’s systems and data, including software, hardware, mobile devices, cyber security, and related policies, procedures, and business processes..
- Leads all IT-related strategic and operational planning to achieve business goals
- Works in partnership with the business functions to build a strategy and roadmap that will support rapid growth, including identifying any potential bottlenecks
- Participates in and facilitates the strategic and operational process improvements of QM
- Develop departmental key performance indicators, ensuring they align with QM’s goals
- Manage and train the IT team, including providing performance management and making changes if necessary and in-line with QM policies and procedures
- Directs and coordinates professional services such as systems analysis and design, feasibility studies, and programming of information, communication, and office automation systems
- Provide IT-related mentorship and leadership to others in the organization
- Educate others on IT-related strategies and best practises, and ensure they are being followed throughout the organization
- Develop and oversee relationships with vendors, contractors, and service providers
- Monitors and reports progress on development projects, resource utilization, and production performance to executive and senior leadership
- Maintains pace with technological progress, economic change, and company needs by directing continual improvements of IT staff, equipment, and procedures.
- Priorities all IT-related initiatives
- Identifies and recommends new technologies and services that will improve efficiency, processes, and operations; reviews requests for additional services and upgrades, assessing the costs and benefits to QM
- Continuously analyze and evaluate current systems (hardware and software) to determine if they meet the needs of the business
- Consult with QM stakeholders on a regular basis to ensure that QM has the infrastructure required to meet current and future business requirements
- IT-related projects:
- Strategies, coordinates and plans new projects, consulting with stakeholders regularly throughout the process
- Analyze current and past projects
- Track progress of projects
- Lead Steering Committees
- Provide management updates
- Ensure all projects are completed on-time and within budget
- Actively participate in projects providing leadership and subject-matter expertise as required
- Coordinates project teams throughout QM as it relates to information systems
- Evaluate, modify and create information system policies and procedures appropriate for the business
- Ensure that QM has the necessary preventative cyber-security protocols in place appropriate to the business
- Ensures the integrity and reliability of computerized information systems, communication systems, and office systems including the security of data acquired and stored
- Develop a business continuity plan to ensure that the business continues in case of a threat, outage or security breach.
- Analyze, evaluate and implement recommendations on staffing, outsourcing, purchasing and in-house development of systems and processes
- Develop and oversee the IT budget and cost-controls
- Manage any project-related costs
- Be aware of an in-compliance with all QM-related financial policies and procedures
- Participate in QM’s financial planning processes, providing subject-matter expertise as required
- Understand and communicate (as appropriate) QM’s financials
- Review all costs and invoices to ensure that QM is getting value and quality; if necessary, negotiate or re-negotiate with vendors as necessary
- Identifies and acts on opportunities for appropriate and cost-effective investment in information systems
- Review and oversee the signing and approval of all IT-related contracts, including approving the purchase, rent, lease, license, or other acquisition of hardware, software, or services needed to meet company needs.
Health and Safety
- Read, understand, and follow Corporate Health and Safety Program, Policy and Procedures
- Ensures health and safety is considered in the performance of all activities.
- Other responsibilities, as required.
QUALIFICATIONS & SKILLS
Bachelor degree in computer science or related; Masters degree preferred
- 10 years of strategic IT leadership experience required, with a minimum of 5 years in a project-related organization, preferably in construction or a similar industry (not consulting)
- Hands-on experience with IT-disciplines such as designing and building infrastructure systems (hardware), software development, etcetera
- Experience analyzing and implementing new systems, including ERP systems
- Experience analyzing and implementing project-based software systems preferred
- Hands-on experience with Microsoft systems including Business Central and Navision
- Thorough understanding of IT policies, processes and procedures and how they are applied within an organization
- Qualities required include:
- Being a lifelong learner
- Experience building and managing high-achieving teams
- Trustworthy and authentic leader
- Very strong strategic business acumen; understands the business and the value that systems can bring to a business; partners with the business
- Builds strong relationships both internally and externally
- Excellent presenter and articulate communicator, using both written and verbal formats
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Highly organized, with good attention to detail
- Highly technically competent, with the ability to quickly understand and master new technology; proficient with Microsoft Office Suite or related software
- Keeps up to date with technological trends, and has the ability to understand what works best in which environment.
What we offer:
- Diverse teams; interesting work; exciting change!
- Extended Health & Dental Coverage, with Wellness Benefits
- Life Insurance
- Accidental Death & Dismemberment Insurance
- Long Term Disability
- Employee Assistance Program
- Generous GRRSP and matching DPSP
- Discounted Health Club Membership
- And a Great Team!
Work is primarily in QM’s head office located at 5155 Spectrum Way, Unit 8, Mississauga, ON, L4W 5A1. Occasional travel to job sites, QM offices, and/or vendor/supplier sites will be required.
DIVERSITY & INCLUSION
QM Environmental is a staunch advocate for diversity in all its forms, and especially welcomes applications from members of the BIPOC (Black, Indigenous, and People of Colour) community, women, people with disabilities, the LGBTQ+ community, and those of diverse intersectional identities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process as well as part of employment with QM Environmental.
Serious applicants must include a resume along with a cover letter summarizing your specific qualifications and compensation requirements. Only applicants who provide this information will be considered.
We thank everyone for their expression of interest—and are truly appreciative of the time individuals put into applying—but with the limitations of time only those selected for an interview will be contacted.